- Create a DMG version of the DVD using Disk Tools.
- Restore the DMG version to a thumbdrive or external hard drive.
- Using a terminal window, copy the "System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg" file somewhere (i.e. /tmp):
- Figure out what your system type (i.e. "MacBook4,1") is:
- Extract the contents of the file using "xar":
xar -x -v -f OSInstall.mpkg
- Edit the file named "Distribution"
- Look for the line "var hwbeSupportedMachines" and add your machine code so it looks something like this:
var hwbeSupportedMachines = [
- Save the file.
- Recreate the OSInstall.mpkg file (again with xar):
xar -c ./ -v -f NewOSInstall.mpkg
- Copy this new file over the old OSInstall.mpkg:
cp /tmp/NewOSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/Untitled/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
Now you shouldn't get that error message anymore.