- Cleaned out drivers per these instructions. Still rebooted.
- Running Prime95 for over 7 hours yielded no errors with RAM.
- Running Linx for about an hour yielded no errors with RAM.
- Running OCCT yielded no errors with GPU RAM.
- Running OCCT "CPU:OCCT" test with large data sets for an hour showed no errors or issues.
- Running Kombustor yielded no errors or crashes.
- Running all of the above AT THE SAME time yielded no errors or crashes.
I found some data from 03 JAN 2012 when I started earnestly troubleshooting the Skyrim crashes. This chart shows what's happening with the GPU from idle (22:09:34), starting Skyrim (22:09:58) and then the reboot (22:17:01, end of the chart). This involved loading the latest saved game and running through the area outside the College of Winterhold. This session lasted 7 minutes.
As you can see, the GPU temperature and fan speeds are fairly consistent and way below the danger zone. I did this a few more times and yielded similar results. Basically, it a good run with no indicators of any problems related to temperature or load.
So, it's still crashing. Our friendly Nexus Forums user summed up my feelings on this:
Unlike others I do feel that the fix has to do with ones system configuration/settings and not the game itself. I really strongly feel it has to do with video drivers and something a bit deeper. Quite frankly this problem isn't as wide spread as it potentially could have been with the vast amount of people who've purchased & pirated the game on PC. At one point Steam had 500,000 people playing the game at the same time so my feeling is if it was the game a whole lot more people would be complaining.Today, I found at a local store (Conrad's) a Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W for cheaper than NewEgg(!) and will install it tonight. Hopefully the problem is that Skyrim does *something* that causes a huge draw on the PSU and this fixes the problem. If not, in addition to the other quality components I have that have been thoroughly tested, I will also have a quality PSU. Then, I'll just wait for Skyrim to be patched.
More to come...